Itchy Feet

Itchy Feet



        “Jenny Marie you get in this house, now! I am talking to the air, Robert do you know where she is at?”
        “You know where she is, she always goes to Lisa's house and then they go hide in the woods.”
        “I don't like this”
        “Cheryl, will you just quiet down some?”
       “No… no I won't it’s time for her to be home. Her and Lisa joined at the hip, sometimes I would swear by it! But I am worried, please go check on them. I will call Lisa's house and talk to her mom.”
       “Hello”
       “Hi Kathleen, it's Cheryl. Do you know where the girls are?”
       “I thought they were at your house. When Lisa left here this morning, she said she was going to spend the whole day at your house. She told Philip and I that ya’ll were going to the beach. I know Lisa had a towel with her. Cheryl did you and Robert go to the beach today?
      “No, no we did not! Where are our girls? I am worried.”
      “I don't know, but when Lisa gets home, she will be grounded for a month”
      “I am thinking a year right now for Jenny-Marie.  Let me talk more with Robert and we will call you if anything comes up.”
     “Thanks, we will do the same.”
     “Bye”
     “Bye”
   
     “Lisa wait up. Do you think our parents are looking for us now? What did you tell your mom anyway?”
    “That I was going to the beach with you”
    “You're such a good liar.”
    “I am! What about you? What did you tell your mom?”
    “That we were spending the day together and we would find some adventure to go on”
   “You always do that, tell some little white lie. Do you really think she fell for it? Did you even hint that we were going to visit your Uncle in Orlando”
  “No, I kept it a nice clean white lie”
  “Let's go to the interstate highway and hitchhike up to Cocoa Beach then take that road that goes west to Orlando”
 “Okay”
“Jen, how much more sunlight you think we have?”
“We have a few hours, more than we need to get to Orlando. My Uncle will be shocked when he see's us standing at his door.”
“You didn't call your Uncle? Another white lie.”
“I did call him and I said we wanted to visit him in Orlando. He said 'Well Jenny-Marie we'd love to have you come up this weekend'”
“And that's all?... just a white lie, to me and your Uncle. Why am I your fiend?”
“You know we are two free spirits, nothing but wanderlust in our feet”
“Hey Jen , I think we got a ride, that old car is slowing down for us. Do you think we should take it, the ride that is”
“Let's see who's driving first”

An old Buick Electra slows to a stop on the shoulder about 100 feet in front of the girls.
“Why you girls out here on this road—it is dangerous—do you need a ride somewhere?
“Yes Mister, we're going to Orlando. Can you give us a ride?
“Get in, I'm only going up to Cocoa at Route 520. I will drop you off there.  Can I call your parents or something for you's? Let's get moving.” The man replied and continued talking to the girls.
“How old are you two anyway, don't look like much more than fourteen. Don't you know it ain't the sixties anymore. Used to be able to hitchhike any where in the U S of A back then, but times are different. If I had the time I take you to Orlando, make sure you got there safe. But I got my life too, I got me a wife, fine woman. I got's to spend time with her.”

The girls giggled in the back seat as they listened to the man driving.

“Well this is your stop. You can go over to the gas station and here is some change for the pay phone. Sure I can't help in some way?”
“My Uncle in Orlando is expecting us, we're okay thanks” Jen replied.

The old Buick Electra drove away. They watched it go east and then they turned west, noticing the sun had started to set. They were only about thirty minutes from Jen's Uncle’s house. There was just enough sunlight to get there safe.

“Come on, Lisa we need to get moving.”
“Where are we?”
“We’re on Route 520 and we better start going west to Orlando.” Jen replied.
“Jen you ever think about the future? I am thinking about tomorrow, going to some water park, going down a slide, splashing, and having fun with you.” Lisa said.
“I think about the past, when I was a kid, at Christmas time. My mom and dad always had some surprise for us. My brothers always planned our attack of the presents. My older brother telling everyone what to do, ‘Jen you get the scissors, don’t let little bobby have them.’ We have good families.
Lisa what are you staring at?”
“The tree’s it’s just a never ending line of tall trees”
“What is?” Jen asked.
“This road, it’s all Pine trees, not one palm tree like in our yard. The pines don’t sway with the wind, like palms. They just let the air pass them by and leave the sounds of whispers flowing in the breeze.”
“You’re creeping me out”
“Jen look that old pickup truck is stopping, maybe we got a ride.”
“You girls can jump in the back if you want, I am going towards Orlando. I do need to stop in Naracoosee, but only for a moment. You two should not be out here all alone.” The driver said.
“Lisa stop pulling at me, we need a ride”
“Not him – I’m not getting in that truck”
“Thanks mister, we’re okay” replied both girls

If you want to read the full story go to Story Development ( Top Menu ) and read Whispers through the Pines. 

© Copyright 2014 Artemis J Jones


No comments: